In other news #34
I am one year old
Today is my blog’s b-day/anniversary. I thought I would post links to some of my early posts and some favorites; maybe add a few comments about why I liked them…or maybe just make up stories about why I wrote them. You’ll never know anyway, so let’s make it entertaining!
- Confession Wednesday #8: I love candy – This is pretty self explanatory, I love candy and the comments from people were funny as I talked about making myself sick from eating too much candy.
- Confession Wednesday #6: I love cartoons – Most of my friend will tell you I am a cartoon junkie, and I am proud of it.
- Concert Review #2: BB King and Bobby Blue Bland – One of the best concerts I have been to. The venue, the music and the history of these two performers created a mix I will never forget. If I do…I’ll just back and read this blog.
- The behavior of animals: The behavior of humans – Always a favorite argument with women; or the argument that explains why I am single! Just take it with a grain of salt…and don;t hate me for telling it how it is. Ha!
- What is wrong with people: I thought I was the only lazy one – One of the wonderful and typical antics of life in my office. I could have just re-posted this one a few times for all the days I had to deal with this SAME situation.
- People are interesting at times: Other times they are crazy – My first entry outside the typical “hi I am going to make a blog” post…again more work influenced humor.
There have been many entries that turned into comment fun…or the emails on the side. The tagging, the linking, the run on posts across multiple blogs. There was the second blog no one knew about, Memoirs of Love Astray…that later became a feature of re-posted entries here. The first two people I started talking to EngineerDan @ discouragement and Thérèse @ the origin of shoeism with their comment wars and continual rips on one another. The blog crushes with anonymous comments. The small circle that brewed from readers of many blogs on my blogroll that ended up here at various times. Stories of dating Blog hopping, blog spamming, blog plug-ins…the people that stop blogging after a month.
There has been a nice chunk of memories and good humor that’s now been spread across the internet like a clique of friends who’s stories are public. We’re not saving lives or finding cures for cancer…but in some strange way we’re all trying to save one another’s sanity…even if that’s just through nonsense text. You gotta love the internet. :)
Photo moment #29
Confession Wednesday #21
I need a vacation
I work at a company that gives me the standard two week vacation, which is quite nice combined with the holidays and personal time; but I’m not taking my time off. Last year I had two or three unused vacation days. This year since I had to forgo my bike trip I have almost all of my days left. I won’t get to roll them over to next year and I don’t get paid back for them.
About a month ago I started to feel the pinch of overload and I knew I needed to recharge my batteries…but I didn’t take time off. This month is almost half over and I am in the same spot. Don’t get me wrong, I might be really busy, but I still find lots of time to have fun. I just need a break before I tumble down the “I’m burned out” road many people face when it’s been too long since they took a break.
I’ve just become a workaholic over the years and I don’t like the detachment from my office. The catch? I’m not a workaholic. What nonsense am I spilling out now? Well I have the detachment issues with work like a workaholic does, but for almost a year the pride I take in my work and the effort I exert to do my work has fallen drastically. Now I feel guilty. I feel bad when a problem happens and I can’t help, or when someone has to call me and I have to walk them through it. Maybe if I would have done something differently the problem wouldn’t have happened. On top of that, I feel like I don’t deserve my time off because I have taken “time off” while I have been at work. Now that “time off” has caught up to me and everything I fell behind in needs to be finished…right when I need to get out of the office.
Don’t do as I do: do your work at work and keep the non-work stuff to a minimum at work. That way you’ll never feel guilty about leaving work. When you don things, do them right the first time so you don’t have to go back and redo your work. Damn I don’t know where I lost my way along the path, but I’m feeling the pinch.